Monday, April 07, 2014

Resurrection Eggs, Part 2 of 4

For the other posts on our Resurrection Eggs Easter Devotions, see Part 1, Part 3, and Part 4


7. Rope. 
Story: Jesus arrested. Matthew 26:47-56, 27:1-2.
Hymn: Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed



8. Soap. 
Story: Pilate washes his hands. Matthew 27:11-26.
Hymn: No Tramp of Soldiers’ Marching Feet (This is a fairly modern Lutheran hymn that I found when looking for songs about Pilate. It's set to a well-known tune - Kingsfold - and I really like it. I wish it were more well-known! I couldn't find any lead sheets or free sheet music, but here is a chord chart I worked out, and here's a video of a choir singing it. We sing it in a more folksy-style and with a lot quicker tempo with the kids.)



9. Feather. 
Story: Peter disowns Jesus. Matthew 26:31-35, Luke 22:54-62.
Hymn: We Have Not Known Thee as We Ought
Listen online here



10. Purple cloth and/or a Thorn.
Story: Jesus wears God’s kingly crown. John 19:1-16.
Hymn: O Sacred Head Now Wounded
Listen online here


11. Cross. 
Story: Crucifixion. John 19:16-22.
Hymn: In the Cross of Christ I Glory, or Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross


12. Dice. 
Soldiers cast lots. John 19:23-27.
Hymn: Man of Sorrows
Listen to a great traditional version and an equally wonderful choral arrangement

Continue reading with Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment